Sunday, September 22, 2013

Masquerade Madness

True to girly fashion I love to dress up! I have been dressing up for as long as I can remember, even enlisting my dad and sometimes my brother (sorry Jonathan) to dress up with me. So naturally when a co-worker from this summer asked me if I wanted to accompany her to a masquerade ball I didn't hesitate and said yes! The ball itself was put on by the Last Tuesday Society (which is apparently is slightly difficult to become a member of). The balls are normally open to the public to purchase tickets and proceeds go to a charity, in this case an orphanage. I went for a classic look because that's normally the way I dress anyway plus I only brought one cocktail dress to London. 


My dress was by BCBG and so was the jacket. 



My mask and shoes. 


None of my flat mates were home when I got ready so I tried to take a full length picture of myself (mostly so my mom could see). This was my attempt. 




Hi. 



All put together!



The ball was in a house (I think it was a house of sorts) on the Strand. For those of you who do not know what the Strand is, it is the London Eye is just across the river Thames so it was a really nice location. 






One thing I will say is the Brits do not mind nude people. Being an American I am not used to seeing nude people walking about but the ball had hired performers to be nude as well as people passing around appetizer so....yea. It was interesting. 




The menagerie was just that a room with exotic animals. Now when I think exotic I think peacock's and tigers but neither of those animals were in the menagerie. Nope, it was filled with spiders (a tarantula), snakes, lizards and other creepy crawly things. The only cute thing was a chameleon and I only liked him because Rapunzel's friend Pascal was a chameleon in the movie. I still did not touch or hold any of the animals I did look at them though. 


Elizabeth (my co-worker/friend) and I had no idea that the dress code was clothing optional (hence the naked people) but most of the guests were in a range of costumes. Some Marie-Antoinette and King Louis XVI style like my DJ friend here, some pirates, some men in kilts, some from the 1920s and then the rest of us in cocktail dress. I loved every moment of it and it was such a great London experience. Hopefully I will get to go to one more before I return home. 


I even passed by the palace on my way home in the taxi. It was a great night! Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment